Thursday, October 06, 2005

Plane Spotter?

Yesterday was a fun day! I went with E on his field trip to DFW. Yeah I know that sounds really nerdy and all, but we got to see the new International Terminal, rode the train and then went on to visit the American Airlines Operations Center at The American Airlines Museum. That was pretty neat. We didn't actually go to the museum, but I think I will put it on my todo list. We went and mooched around and spoke to the dispatchers, the operations pilot in command and the weather guy. We saw this really cool screen that showed the lightening strikes across the country. Now that was really cool. We also visited what they call "The War Room" which is where all emergency procedures are handles. It's kind of like EPIC at Heathrow in London. Basically it's the nerve center for any AA major aircraft emergency. Their last major one doesn't need to be reminded of other than the date it happened. Need any more clues?? I had some training on Emergency Procedures when I worked as a dispatcher in the UK. It was quite a scary thought to think I would be called out if a plane crashed in the vicinty of the airport and I would have to help out at the operations unit. We even did a trial run one day (during a normal busy summer shift day). There were folk wandering round the airport dripping with fake blood and all. It looked pretty gruesome.

Four years ago today, my beloved Staffordshire Bull Terrier Ruby was killed in a freak accident. I still miss her lots and wish I could turn the clock back. Hopefully when we get our house, I shall get another dog, but refuse to in an apartment. *sniff*

Anyway, I need to get to work for my ONE appointment today. Talk later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home